Goal Setting in the New Year


 It's that time of year again! Many of us are setting New Year's Resolutions for 2023. I have discussed my thoughts on New Year's Resolutions before but a little review. I actually don't like to make New Years Resolutions or think of them as New Years Resolutions. This is because I see these as blanket statements for me. What helps me to pay more attention to this is thinking of them as setting goals. What is different about this is that when I think about them as goals, these are things that I can set any time of the year. But when I think of them as New Years Resolutions, I am usually thinking about them as things that I can only set at the beginning of the year. 

I also wanted to put some statistics about things like how often resolutions are kept, what percentage finishes them, etc. but I was not able to find credible resources that was comfortable with putting out there. I will say there is information out on the internet so if you would like to find that, you can definitely find the information out there. 

How Do I Even Set a Goal?

Many times, I hear the question of how do I set a goal? or I will talk with someone and they talk about how they have not accomplished their goal. I will ask them what their goal is and it's not something that could be attained or something that they really put a lot of effort into making. 


When this happens I ask them if they made their goal a SMART goal. This is something that is very important to think about. In the picture above it breaks down what it means to make a SMART goal. So when we talk about this, a SMART goal is one that is specific, measurable, achievable or attainable, relevant or realistic, and time-based. 

Specific: You want to make sure that your goal is specific as possible.  
Measurable: You want to have a way to measure the success of your progress (e.g. mood tracker, workout tracker, weight monitor)
Achievable/Attainable: You want to make the goal something that you can attain. The goal is something that can be done
Relevant/Realistic: The goal needs to something that is relevant to your purpose and your why. It also needs to be realistic to something that can be achieved. 
Time-based: There should be a time table, a target date to achieve the goal, and times to track the progress. 

An example of a SMART goal would be: I would like to lose 10 bounds by April 2023 as measured by use of a weight tracker weekly. 
When all these aspects are included in a goal, it provides for a better chance to engage in the goal and maybe a higher likelihood of achieving the goal. 

What are some goals that you have going into the new year? I would love to hear from you all. 

KaRon 





Comments